The nominees have been announced for this year’s L.A. Times Book Prize, which includes a category for Graphic Novels/Comics.
The Los Angeles Times has given an award in the graphic novel category since 2009, when Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli won the award. Other previous winners include The Love Bunglers by Jaime Hernandez, Duncan the Wonder Dog by Adam Hines, Beverly by Nick Drnaso and Tillie Walden’s On a Sunbeam. The Hard Tomorrow by Eleanor Davis won the prize last year.
The nominees for this year are:
- Umma’s Table by Yeon-sik Hong, Janet Hong (translator)
- Blue Flag (vol. 1-4) by KAITO
- Sports is Hell by Ben Passmore
- Apsara Engine by Bishakh Som
- Come Home, Indio: A Memoir by Jim Terry
The awards ceremony will be held virtually on Friday, April 16.