To celebrate the 105th anniversary of the birth of Joe Shuster, the 2019 Joe Shuster Award nominations were announced on July 10.
The awards celebrate the Canadian comic industry and the creators who work in it. The nominees will be unveiled in two rounds. Later this month, the nominees for the Dragon (Comics for Kids) Prize, Hall of Fame, TM Maple, Webcomics, Cover Artist and the Harry Kremer Retailer will be announced
The date and location of the ceremony have not yet been announced; however, they are expected to be awarded in September 2019.
- Dylan Burnett – Cosmic Ghost Rider (Marvel Comics), Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers 2018 Annual (BOOM! Studios), Reactor (Vault Comics)
- Emily Carroll – Speak: The Graphic Novel (Farrar, Straus And Giroux)
- Marc Delafontaine – Les Nombrils 08: Ex, Drague Et Rock’n’roll! (Dupuis)
- Mike Feehan – Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles (Dc Comics)
- Karl Kershl – Isola (Image Comics)
- Sacha Lefebvre – U-merlin (éditions Michel Quintin)
- Yanick Paquette – Action Comics, Wonder Woman Earth One Book Two (DC Comics)
- Denis Rodier – Arale (Dargaud)
- Maryse Dubuc, Marc Delafontaine – Les Nombrils 08 Ex, Drague Et Rock’n’roll! (Dupuis)
- Meredith Finch – Xena: Warrior Princess (Dynamite Entertainment), Rose (Image Comics)
- Jean-francois Laliberte – U-merlin (éditions Michel Quintin)
- Jeff Lemire – Black Hammer: Age Of Doom, Black Hammer: Cthu-Louise, Doctor Star & The Kingdom Of Lost Tomorrows, Quantum Age (Dark Horse), The Terrifics (DC Comics), Descender, Gideon Falls, Hit-Girl (Image Comics), The Sentry (Marvel Comics), Bloodshot: Salvation (Valiant)
- Tristan Roulot – Arale (Dargaud)
- Chip Zdarsky – Marvel 2-In-One, Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man (Marvel Comics), The Wicked + The Divine: The Funnies (Image Comics)
- Jim Zub – Dungeons & Dragons: Evil At Baldur’s Gate (IDW), Wayward (Image Comics), Avengers, The Champions, Hunt For Wolverine: Mystery In Madripoor, Infinity Countdown: Champions (Marvel Comics), Rick & Morty Vs. Dungeons & Dragons (Oni Press)
- Ho Che Anderson – Godhead (Fantagraphics)
- Emily Carroll – Beneath The Dead Oak Tree (Shortbox)
- Svetlana Chmakova – Crush (Yen Press)
- Johnnie Christmas – Firebug (Image Comics)
- Francis Desharnais – Le Petite Russie (éditions Pow Pow)
- Michel Falardeau – L’esprit Du Camp T.2 (Studio Lounak)
- Faith Erin Hicks – The Divided Earth: Nameless City Vol. 3 (First Second)
- Jeff Lemire – Royal City (Image Comics)
- Mikael – Giant T.2 (Dargaud)
THE GENE DAY AWARDS
Named after the late Howard Eugene Day (1951-1982), a Canadian comics artist best known for his work on Marvel Comics’ Star Warscomics and Master of Kung Fu who began his career publishing his own independent comics such as Out of the Depths, Oktoberfest Comicsand the graphic novel Future Day. He also contributed short stories to horror comics magazines Psycho and Nightmare and to the Star*Reach, Imagine and Quack Anthologies as well as Orb Magazine. Many of his short stories were published posthumously in the anthologies Black Zeppelin and in Day Brothers Presents. The name is used with the approval of the Day family.
Two Gene Day Awards honour the creative spirit of independent comics in Canada. The nominees were selected from individual publications submitted for review or acquired by the committee before the deadline of June 1, 2019.
FOR SELF-PUBLISHED COMICS AND GRAPHIC NOVELS
- Beaver Damn 2 – A. Shay Hahn
- Christie Pits – Jamie Michaels, Doug Fedrau
- Happily Ever After – Ricky Lima, Nicolas Londeix, Andrew Thomas
- Hockey Apocalypse Season 4: Cult Of Hockey – Jeff Martin
- Les Animaux Se Revoltant (Ringo Starr Aussi) – Val-bleu
- The Complete Squid-gee Octology – Keenan Poloncsak
GENE DAY AWARD FOR INDEPENDENT PRESS ANTHOLOGY COLLECTIONS
- Cauldron 1 (Shane Heron)
- Gothic Tales Of Haunted Love (Bedside Press)
- Jewish Comics Anthology Vol. 2 (Ah Comics)
- Swan Song (Cloudscape Comics Collective)
- Toronto Comics: Osgoode As Gold (To Comix Press)
- Wayward Sisters (To Comix Press)
The Joe Shuster Awards, Gene Day Awards, Dragon Prize, Harry Kremer Award, TM Maple and Hall of Fame Awards are organized and presented by the Canadian Comic Book Creator Awards Association (established in 2004).
2019 Sponsors include The Dragon, Comic Book Lounge, All New Comics, Comic Legends Legal Defense Fund (CLLDF).