The Los Angeles Times has announced the nominees for their annual Book Prize awards, which includes a graphic novel category. Three Drawn and Quarterly releases received nominations, along with one each from Fantagraphics and First Second.
The L.A. Times has given an award in the graphic novel category since 2009, when Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli won the award. Other previous winners include The Love Bunglers by Jaime Hernandez, Duncan the Wonder Dog by Adam Hines and Beverly by Nick Drnaso. Tillie Walden’s On a Sunbeamwon the award last year.
The nominees in the “Graphic Novel/Comics” category are:
- Eleanor Davis, The Hard Tomorrow (Drawn and Quarterly)
- Michael DeForge, Leaving Richard’s Valley (Drawn and Quarterly)
- Jaime Hernandez, Is This How You See Me (Fantagraphics)
- Keum Suk Gendry-Kim, Grass (Drawn and Quarterly)
- Mariko Tamaki & Rosemary Valero-O’Connell, Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me (First Second)
You can find the complete list of nominees across all categories on the L.A. Times website.