The nominees for the 33rd annual Lambda Literary Awards have been announced, celebrating “the very best in LGBTQ literature.” The awards include a “Comics” category, but graphic novels also found their way into other categories as well.
“By celebrating LGBTQ books, we celebrate LGBTQ life,” said Sue Landers, executive director of Lambda Literary. “As a community often under threat of legislative and actual violence, the Lammys offer a necessary space to come together in joy.”
Nominees in the “LGBTQ Comics” category include:
- Apsara Engine, Bishakh Som, Feminist Press
- The Contradictions, Sophie Yanow, Drawn & Quarterly
- Everything Is Beautiful, and I’m Not Afraid: A Baopu Collection, Yao Xiao, Andrews McMeel
- SFSX (Safe Sex), Vol. 1: Protection, Tina Horn, Michael Dowling, Alejandra Gutiérrez & Jen Hickman, Image Comics
- Spellbound: A Graphic Memoir, Bishakh Som, Street Noise Books
In addition, The Magic Fish, written and drawn by Trung Le Nguyen and published by Random House Graphic, was nominated in the “LGBTQ Young Adult.” And Smut Peddler Presents: Silver, an anthology of stories published by Iron Circus Comics, was nominated in the “LGBTQ Erotica” category.
The awards will be presented on June 1 at 7 p.m. Eastern in an online ceremony; you can find details on how attend here. You can find the complete list of nominees across all categories on the Lambda Literary website.