DC Comics will release Batman: The World, a hardcover collection of stories featuring the Caped Crusader by creators from around the world, in September.
The release comes just in time for Batman Day on Sept. 18, and will feature stories about Batman set in locations across Europe, Asia and South America. Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo will kick the anthology off with a story set in Gotham where Batman “realizes that the call for justice knows no borders,” setting up the rest of the stories in the book.
“Batman has grown into a true pop culture icon, known the world over,” said DC publisher and chief creative officer Jim Lee. “Batman: The World is DC’s way of showing fans everywhere that Batman is more than a character; Batman is a phenomenon that transcends languages and borders.”
Here’s the list of contributors and countries featured in the hardcover:
- Mathieu Gabella (writer)/Thierry Martin (artist) – France
- Paco Roca (writer/artist) – Spain
- Alessandro Bilotta (writer)/Nicola Mari (artist) – Italy
- Benjamin von Eckartsberg (writer)/Thomas von Kummant (artist) – Germany
- Stepan Kopriva (writer)/Michal Suchánek (artist) – Czech Republic
- Tomasz Kolodziejczak (writer)/Piotr Kowalski, Brad Simpson (artists) – Poland
- Ertan Ergil (writer)/Ethem Onur Bilgiç (artist) – Turkey
- Alberto Chimal (writer)/Rulo Valdés (artist) – Mexico
- Carlos Estefan (writer)/Pedro Mauro (Artist) – Brazil
- Inpyo Jeon (writer)/Jae-kwang Park, Kim Jung Gi (artists) – Korea)
- Xu Xiaodong, Lu Xiaotong (writers)/Qiu Kun, Yi Nan (artists) – China
- Kirill Kutuzov, Egor Prutov (writers)/Natalia Zaidova (artist) – Russia
- Okadaya Yuichi (writer/artist) – Japan
Each international version of Batman: The World will also feature its own unique cover art by the local creative team. The collection arrives Sept. 14 worldwide, in both digital and print.
Check out the international covers below:
One thought on “International artists interpret the Dark Knight in ‘Batman: The World’ hardcover”