For the 60th anniversary of Spider-Man, Marvel will return him to his roots with a new issue of Amazing Fantasy featuring stories by Neil Gaiman, Kurt Busiek, Dan Slott, Jim Cheung, Olivier Coipel and more.
Amazing Fantasy #1000, which takes its name from the comic where Spider-Man first debuted, Amazing Fantasy #15, will be a giant-sized anthology one-shot. The stories will “explores the past and future of Amazing Spider-Man storytelling in tales that leave a profound impact on the Spider-Man mythos and showcase why Spidey is one of the most beloved heroes in history,” according to Marvel.com.
Creators announced thus far include:
- Sandman co-creator Neil Gaiman, who previously wrote a different version of Peter Parker in 1602.
- Emmy Award-winning creator behind Veep and Avenue 5 Armando Iannucci.
- Former Spider-Man writer Dan Slott and artist Jim Cheung, who will team up to explore “the enduring love between Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson in a story set in the far future.”
- Artist Michael Cho and novelist Anthony Falcone, who will introduce a new Spider-Man villain.
- Ho Che Anderson, creator of Godhead, Sand & Fury and more, is doing “a horror-fueled Spidey adventure that cuts to Peter Parker’s core.”
- Novelist and former Runaways writer Rainbow Rowell.
- X-Men architect Jonathan Hickman.
“It’s Spider-Man’s 60th, and we wanted to celebrate in style by inviting some of the greatest creative minds in the world to celebrate it,” said Editor Nick Lowe.
Amazing Fantasy #1000 arrives in August.