Amazon has announced plans to “retire” the Comixology app effective Dec. 4, according to a message in the app itself. Comixology users will have to start using the Kindle app to access their comics and graphic novels after that date.
The move is not a surprise, given everything that’s happened with Comixology and Amazon over the last two years — starting with the relaunch of the Comixology app that brought it more in line with the Kindle experience, as well as the elimination of a separate Comixology website for buying comics. Earlier this year the Comixology team was severely impacted by Amazon-wide layoffs, leaving the future of the digital comics service in question.
At this point, I’d imagine most users have either accepted the changes to the Comixology app that came two years ago (which turned a great app for reading comics into a not-so-great app for reading comics, with lots of problems and pain points along the way), switched back to print or they’ve moved on — perhaps to Omnibus or Global Comix, both of which have launched comics apps this year, or to the Marvel Unlimited or DC Universe Infinite app. Or some combination of the above, as none of these apps offer everything a reader might want to purchase, like Comixology does.
Per the FAQs, Amazon will continue selling comics on their website for use in the Kindle app, so the only real change is the actual app you’ll use for reading comics. But it does feel like the end of an era, when you think about the small start-up that wanted to offer fans a digital marketplace to read comics, its subsequent growth and eventual purchase by Amazon. The Amazon website continues to use the Comixology name for digital comics — and of course, there’s still Comixology Originals, which is still announcing and releasing new series — but you have to wonder how much longer Amazon will continue to use the name.
Update: Amazon sent an email out yesterday to customers about the change, noting several upgrades they’ve made to the Kindle app to make it more comics friendly:
We’ve been hard at work upgrading the Kindle app to deliver the great digital comics, graphic novels, and manga experience you’re accustomed to in the Comixology app, including:
- Your library in the Kindle app now groups your issues, volumes, and omnibuses from the same series together.
- The Kindle app now allows you to hide and unhide specific comics, graphic novels, and manga in your library. Titles you’ve already set to hide via the Comixology app will automatically be hidden in the Kindle app.
- With your complete library of books now conveniently in one place, you can select ‘Comics & Manga’ from the in-app filter menu to quickly find just your comics, graphic novels, and manga titles.
- Members of Comixology Unlimited, Kindle Unlimited, or Amazon Prime can borrow comics, graphic novels, and manga titles directly in app. Tap the ‘Home’ button from the bottom nav, select the ‘Explore’ button in the top left directly under the search bar, then select the ‘Comics, Manga, and Graphic Novels’ button listed under the ‘More categories’ label. You may also continue to browse for content on the web via www.amazon.com/comixology.
- You may also continue to read your Comixology books on the web via read.amazon.com. If you prefer to read on your Kindle E-reader, you can go to Your Content and Devices to send individual titles to download on your e-reader.