Dark Horse Comics has announced five new interconnected Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. one-shots set in the year 1957, wrapping up the Occult Cold War storyline from the Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1956 miniseries and preparing the table for new stories set in the 1960s.
Mike Mignola and Chris Roberson will write each of them, working with a different artist for each volume:
- Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957— Family Ties, featuring art by Laurence Campbell
- Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957— Forgotten Lives, featuring art by Stephen Green
- Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957— Fearful Symmetry, featuring art by Alison Sampson
- Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957—Falling Sky, featuring art by Shawn Martinbrough
- Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957— From Below, featuring art by Mike Norton
Campbell will also provide the covers for all five one-shots.
Here is Dark Horse’s description of this first one: Before they can track down an errant copy of Gustav Strobl’s Witchcraft and Demonology, Hellboy and B.P.R.D. agent Susan Xiang are sidetracked by a beset housewife’s pleas for help in Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957— Family Ties. Unraveling the mystery of an unwanted house guest may lead the occult investigators right to where they wanted to be, but also right into demonic danger.
“We’ve done some big, sprawling stories in the pages of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. over the years, so this time we wanted to slow things down a little and spend some quality time with a few of our favorite characters,” said Roberson. “In each of these one-shots, Hellboy partners up with a different agent from the B.P.R.D. to investigate paranormal strangeness, and things are never quite what they initially appear to be.”
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957— Family Ties arrives Sept. 15.