Embracer Group announces plans to acquire Dark Horse

The acquisition is expected to be completed next year; Mike Richardson will continue to lead the publisher.

The Embracer Group, which is the Sweden-based holding company that owns several video game companies, has announced its intention to buy Dark Horse Media, LLC, who comic fans know better as Dark Horse Comics.

The purchase includes not only the comic publishing business, but also Dark Horse Entertainment, the film/TV arm, as well as comic retailer Things From Another World, which is owned by Dark Horse.

Dark Horse CEO Mike Richardson will continue to lead the company, which will become Embracer’s “10th operative group,” alongside THQ Nordic, Koch Media, Coffee Stain, Amplifier Game Invest, Saber Interactive, DECA Games, Gearbox Entertainment and Easybrain. If these names don’t seem familiar, they are mostly game design studios, who make games like Saints Row, Dead Island, Darksiders, Kingdoms of Amalur, Borderlands and, my personal favorite, Goat Simulator.

“I can’t express the excitement I feel as Dark Horse moves into this new chapter in our history,” Richardson said in the press release. “The synergies that exist with the Embracer network of companies  promises exciting new opportunities not only for Dark Horse, but also for the creators and companies we work with. I’ve had a number of compelling conversations with Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors and I’m very impressed with him and what he and his team have built. I have to say, the future for our company has never looked brighter.”

The sale follows the move made two years ago when China-based Vanguard Visionary Associates bought part of Dark Horse. At the time, I don’t think we knew how much of Dark Horse VVA actually bought, but per the press release from Embracer, “80 percent of the shares of Dark Horse will be acquired from a seller based in Hong Kong and China. The remaining 20 percent of the shares will be acquired from founder and CEO, Mike Richardson and COO Neil Hankerson.”

Embracer expects to close on the purchase in the early part of 2022. It should also be noted that Embracer is on a bit of a buying spree right now. In addition to Dark Horse, they acquired board game company Asmodee earlier this month. They also announced several smaller acquisitions today, including Perfect World Entertainment, Shiver Entertainment, Spotfilm Networx in Germany and Hungary-based DIGIC.

One thought on “Embracer Group announces plans to acquire Dark Horse”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.