Slugfest is a roundup of cool announcements about projects coming to a shelf near you. Hit the links for more information.
Sergio Aragonés and Mark Evanier will reunite for Groo: In the Wild, a new miniseries that kicks off in July.
The duo is joined by letterer Stan Sakai and colorist Carrie Strachan for a story that sees the barbarian and his dog looking for food. Things go downhill from there, in typical Groo fashion.
Here’s the description:
Usually, the answer would involve hunting but in this new locale, there’s a frightening lack of anything to hunt. No matter where the Wanderer wanders, he and his dog don’t find any animals of the delicious variety. In fact, they find precious few animals at all…a fact that, like everything else in the world, Groo cannot understand. Where did they all go?
The first issue of four arrives in stores July 12.
Beware the Ashen Combine
When the new Avengers title debuts in May, they’ll face a new set of foes called the Ashen Combine, who make the Dark Order look like your grandma’s knitting circle. (I’m assuming here that your grandma’s knitting circle is pretty badass).
The new group, created by Jed MacKay and C.F. Villa, looks like this:
And their members include:
- LORD ENNUI, an embodiment of atrophy who drains a city’s life and spirit.
- IDOL ALABASTER, a living godhead that you’ll worship whether you like it or not.
- CITYSMITH, an insane artist that twists cities like clay.
- THE DEAD, a mysterious commander of ghosts.
- MERIDIAN DIADEM, an endless dungeon who consumes, converts, and spits out prisoner after prisoner.
Batman Beyond returns
DC has announced the return of Batman Beyond in a comic called Batman Beyond: Neo Gothic. Co-writers Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing, with artist Max Dunbar, will bring Terry McGinnis back for a story involving missing children in Old Gotham. Above you can see Dunbar’s main cover, along with variants by Christian Ward, Ejikure, Belén Ortega and Dike Ruan.
Birdking is back for a second volume
Daniel Freedman and CROM will continue the adventures of the Birdking in a second volume of the graphic novel from Dark Horse. Here’s the description:
Bianca and Birdking continue their quest to reach Atlas, entering the domain of Hinnom, an insurmountable mountain range that is the birthplace of a dead dark empire and the battlefield in the war between the kingdoms of the North and South. Old friends, new allies, and scores of enemies await them there. No one has ever crossed Hinnom alive. But Bianca and Birdking might just make it. …Then again, maybe they won’t.
Look for it in stores Nov. 14.
Marvel Zero will collect the publisher’s 2023 FCBD titles
Free Comic Book Day is coming up on May 6, but if you aren’t able to make it to a local shop that day, never fear — Marvel has plans to collect and sell their offerings in Marvel Zero. Featuring a cover by Patrick Gleason, the collection will arrive in stores July 5.
Top Cow will Haunt You To The End
Top Cow has announced Haunt You to the End, a science fiction/horror series set at the end of the world by Ryan Cady and Andrea Mutti. The first issue arrives June 14.
“Andrea Mutti and I have been dying to work together again for a few years now, and when this idea popped into my head, everything was already in his style: moody, washed out watercolors and appropriately dreary scenes of doom and gloom,” Cady said.
Thor battles M.O.D.O.K. in Thor Annual #1
M.O.D.O.K., after receiving a substantial power up, will become MYTHOS and plague the God of Thunder in Thor Annual #1, which comes out in July. The story is by Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly, with Ibraim Roberson on art.
“Collin and I are wildly honored to contribute to the glorious legacy of Thor!” Lanzing said. “Annuals are a wonderful way to dig into a unique aspect of a character – so we’re taking Thor through a gauntlet of epic proportions to finally face down the self-doubt that plagues the new All-Father of Asgard. Does he truly deserve his throne? Or do the Nine Realms belong to he who can take them with ingenuity, intelligence, and tireless effort? Is Thor truly worthy… or does the future belong to MYTHOS?”
Kirkman + Samnee return to Fire Power in July
After a break, Robert Kirkman and Chris Samnee’s Fire Power will return in July with a double-sized 25th issue. The 44-page story picks up where the previous arc’s shocking finale left off, as Owen goes looking for revenge.
Thalamus: The Art of Dave McKean coming in November
Dark Horse Books will release a set of two hardcover volumes collecting the works of Dave McKean, artist of The Sandman, Mirrormask, Arkham Asylum, Cages and more. Thalamus: The Art of Dave McKean will arrive in stores Nov. 28.
Girl power takes the spotlight on Disney100 variant covers
Marvel has revealed three more variant covers in their year-long Disney100 variant cover program, this time featuring Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck suiting up as Captain Marvel, Ghost-Spider and Ms. Marvel. All three covers are by Giada Perissinotto and will appear as variant covers on Amazing Spider-Man #29, 32 and 33.
DC celebrates AAPI Heritage Month with variant covers
DC has announced a series of variant covers for May celebrating Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month. The comics they will appear on include:
- Action Comics #1055 by Bernard Chang and Marcelo Maiolo, in stores on May 23
- Batgirls #18 by Crystal Kung, in stores on May 16
- Batman Inc #8 by Isaac Goodhart and Elmer Santos, in stores on May 9
- Catwoman #55 by Frank Cho and Sabine Rich, in stores on May 16
- City Boy #1 by Alexandre Tefenkgi, in stores on May 23
- Green Arrow #2 by Marcio Takara, in stores on May 23
- Spirit World #1 by Zu Orzu, in stores on May 9
- The Vigil #1 by Pop Mhan, in stores on May 16
Amazing Spider-Man #25 is double sized
The story of Spider-Man’s current woes continues in Amazing Spider-Man #25, which Marvel says will reveal the “full scope” of what Peter did to alienate himself from friends and family. Above is the main cover by John Romita Jr., some preview art by Kaare Andrews and Romita, plus a look at the various variant covers for the double-sized issue by Greg Land, Romita, Skottie Young, John Cassaday and Ed McGuinness. Look for it in stores on May 10.
Hellfire Gala Fashion variant covers
Finally, let’s end with a look at all the various variant covers Marvel will release in June as a tie-in to the annual Hellfire Gala. We know the annual X-Men event is all about intrigue and drama, but even more so, it’s about fashion. Take a look at some of your favorite Marvel characters dressed to the nines above, and you can see who they are wearing on the red carpet below.
- On Sale 7/5
- Captain America #750 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By C.F. Villa
- Captain Marvel: Dark Tempest #1 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Jen Bartel
- Daredevil #13 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Javier Garrón
- Doctor Strange #5 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Dustin Nguyen
- Fantastic Four #9 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Oscar Vega
- Spider-Man #10 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Stephanie Hans
- Thor Annual #1 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By David Marquez
- Venom #22 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Joshua Cassara
- X-Men #24 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Mahmud Asrar
- X-Men: Before The Fall – Sinister Four #1 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Michele Bandini
- On Sale 7/12
- Amazing Spider-Man #29 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By David Nakayama
- Immortal X-Men #13 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Luciano Vecchio
- Miles Morales: Spider-Man #8 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Bernard Chang
- Moon Knight #25 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By W. Scott Forbes
- X-Force #43 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Carlos Gómez
- X-Men: Days Of Future Past – Doomsday #1 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Erica D’urso
- On Sale 7/19
- Black Panther #2 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Mateus Manhanini
- Ghost Rider #16 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Gerald Parel
- Guardians Of The Galaxy #4 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Lee Garbett
- Wolverine #35 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Mahmud Asrar
- X-Men Red #13 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Jamie McKelvie
- On Sale 7/26
- Amazing Spider-Man #30 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Betsy Cola
- Avengers #3 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By David Baldeón
- Deadpool #9 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Nick Dragotta
- Hallows’ Eve #5 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Bengal
- Incredible Hulk #2 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Bryan Hitch
- Invincible Iron Man #8 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Kris Anka
- Storm #3 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Russell Dauterman
- Ultimate Invasion #2 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Lucas Werneck
- X-Men: Hellfire Gala 2023 #1 Hellfire Gala Variant Cover By Mashal Ahmed